Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Office Space

I recently signed up for a Ladies Who Launch incubator (not sure if I mentioned that) and one of the homework assignments was to clear some space. What a great excuse to start working on a home office!

Virginia Woolf was right. Every woman needs a room of their own. That goes double if you are trying to run a business from your home. However, some of us don't have a square (foot) to spare.

I really was dreading it because I thought it would be hard to set up a working office in our cramped apartment. But anything has to be better than working from the dining room table. And since LA doesn't have anything as cool as Sunshine Suites, I had to call in my guru, Paper Sister, and we got creative!

My sister is an elementary teacher but could have a second career as a professional organizer/decorator. She can walk into a room and immediately tell you 3 things you could do to make your space better. Which is exactly what she did when I said that I needed to turn my dining area into an office but wasn't sure what to do. And how to do it without spending a lot of money.

The first thing we did was flip the dining room table (I really wish I had taken Before photos) so that we would have a little more space in our dining nook.

I have been coveting Nicole's studio/office ever since I saw it on Making It Lovely. So after taking some measurements, Paper Sister announced that we would be able to fit in an Expedit shelving unit! Hot dog! We were off to Ikea.

We picked up one of these and added some slide-in drawers to give me a place to hide stuff. What? I can't be neat and organized ALL the time.

The top of this bookcase is the PERFECT size to hold my laptop, printer, postage machine and some pictures. The cubes hold everything from shipping supplies to the postage meter. And because I know that my boy Bubba will want to play office with me, I gave him a cube filled with crayons, paper, and a phone.

I am so excited about the way it turned out and I love having a place of my own. It just makes me feel like I can accomplish anything.

3 comments:

Andra said...

LOVE the Expedit shelving unit from Ikea. I have two of them in my invitation studio, too! They also fit 12 x 12 paper amazingly well. Hope you show pics of your updated "office" soon!

perfect bound said...

I love nicole's interior office shots as well. It sounds like you are on your way to similar office bliss.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post.