Friday, February 10, 2006

Side gig to full-time gig in 3 easy steps

Ok, well not really. I don't have the magical list of 3 easy steps that will get you from taking your side biz to full-time status, but Life Hacker has a really interesting thread where others offer their advice.

In terms of my own two cents, I'm going to have to strongly disagree with all of those commenters who say "wait for the right time.' Truthfully, there will never be THE right time. There will always be some reason, some exucse, or some roadblock in your way. Of course, I think you should only make the leap when you are ready to do it, but I would also say, being "ready" does not necessarily mean you won't be scared, confused, or unsure. For me, I think its all about taking responsibility and making things happen in your own life. You have the power to bring about change...or to just sit around and hope that it will find you (and sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it often won't).

When I quit my job, I didn't have an airtight gameplan. I didn't have a year's salary saved up and I wasn't quite sure how I was going to make it work...but I WAS sure that I was going to make it work some way or somehow...and I have. Not to sound all hokey, but sometimes its just a matter of taking the leap and trusting that your parachute will open.

For anyone looking for an amazing read (I'm talking, life changing for me), I'd highly recommend Wayne Dyer's You'll See It When You Believe It.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi there, i completely agree with you about just starting it...when i moved cities last year, i quit my old job in my old city before having a new one...i had no idea what would happen...i def. didn't have a ton of savings and it all worked out..now i freelance and work from home! i agree that "leap of faith" is even more important for starting your own business...i'm in the process of doing that too. and i know you just have to start instead of waiting for something to happen ;)