Friday, March 24, 2006

How will business change in the next 10 years?

Fast Company has a great article in which they interview a number of visionaries about what they think the biggest changes facing businesses in the next 10 years will be. Many of these ideas may seem a bit broad for itsy bitsy little biz owners like you and me, but in truth, they're really not. Whether you have one employee or 1000, there are so many commonalities we all deal with on many different levels, and I loved reading about each of these business leaders takes on what's ahead.

In particular, I loved Avram Miller's thoughts:

Fewer and fewer people will want to be employees of corporations, because corporations don't have anything to offer. Corporations don't provide security and provide fewer and fewer benefits. People may find new ways to sell their skills. I can imagine eBay or the equivalent of eBay being in the business of letting people bid on work all day long. Office buildings may turn into housing, or maybe individuals will rent office space as you would rent a hotel room.

And those individuals will compete with people from all over the world. This isn't globalization, because globalization to me feels big. I think it's the opposite, it's villagization--making everything smaller and in some sense more intimate. And that's very powerful. I'm totally capitalistic, but I don't like large organizations because they tend to want to control. If this reduces the power of corporations and governments to limit what human beings can do, the thing most exciting to me is the potential for everyone to participate.

Amen to that!

No comments: